Friday, April 17, 2009

Week of 15 April 2009

(SPOILER ALERT: This post contains spoilers. Don't read it before you've read the comics.)

R.E.B.E.L.S. #3 (6/09)
"A World of Hurt"
ROLL CALL: Bounder, Brainiac 2 (Vril Dox), Strata, Tribulus, Wildstar
OMEGA MEN: Broot, Darkfire, Doc, Elu, Tigorr

The LSH connections continue. Let's go down the list.

Brainiac 2 (Vril Dox) is, of course, the ancestor of Brainiac 5. Brainy's voice is inside Vril's head, giving him info about the LSH. Vril is prevented from directly revealing any of this info, but he can use it to build his team.

Tribulus is a Validus analog, with great strength and ability to generate devastating mental lightning. For the moment, he is under Vril's mental control.

Wildstar is an analog of both Dawnstar and Wildfire. She is from Dawny's homeworld and has her tracking abilities; Vril transformed her into an energy being who lives inside a containment suit. She seems happy with the transformation.

Strata is the Blok analog. She hails from Blok's home planet, and may even be Blok's ancestor (I don't know if this was ever explicitly stated). She is married to Garv, a big purple guy with enormous strength. And in this issue, we learn that they have a baby. Somehow.

Bounder is a Bouncing Boy analog. His exact species and powers are yet to be revealed, but he turns into a big ball and smashes things. He's light blue and wears a helmet, which makes him look a lot like Wildstar.

I don't know much about the Omega Men; I've never really followed their adventures, and I'm not sure how they fit into all this.I do know that Broot is a big grey critter dressed in light blue, which makes him look a lot like Strata.

I really like the art, except that there are way too many light blue/grey people with masks or masklike faces: Strata, Wildstar, Bounder, Broot, and dozens of L.E.G.I.O.N. troopers.

At the end, we find that L.E.G.I.O.N. has been possessed by Starro. And we see a spiky-haired woman (with grey skin, of course...at least her outfit is green, not light blue). I have a feeling I should recognize her, but for the life of me I can't. She's not Stealth (she's orange), she's not Lydea Mallor (she's...you guessed it, light blue)...I dunno. More will be revealed next issue.

----------

No comments: